On Monday the 18th of May, the Janesville-Waldorf-Pemberton School Board unanimously approved a three-year lease of Chromebooks. By doing so, the School Board took another step in the right direction to ensure the visions of the District's strategic plan are seen to fruition.
Why Adopt 1:1 Technology?
- We want our students to have access to limitless resources. At anytime during the course of a 24-hour day students may be working on research or homework. By having access to a device we ensure students have the ability to continue with their work. In addition, the World Wide Web provides an abundance of resources for students to further their learning. Albeit, careful education of the usefulness of this information is important and will be conveyed.
- As a district, we are preparing our students to be College & Career Ready and to be technology literate. As students enter college campuses or the workforce, they will be expected to have an understanding of technology. Whether it is writing a paper, running a cash register or setting up a press for printing, technology is at the center of those functions. Our district is committed to getting our students College & Career ready.
- JWP is setting the stage for 22nd century learning. Many educational experts utilize the term 21st century learning and 21st century skills when talking about technology integration and skill set. However, our belief is that we are 15 years in to the 21st century and it is time to develop 22nd century ready skills. By implementing a 1:1 environment, we can begin thinking about future skills and their development.
- Collaboration is the cornerstone of developing outstanding products and learning opportunities. Having a device in every student’s hand increases the ability for our students to develop local and global connectedness.
- Lastly, we encourage our students and staff to connect locally and globally through communication, collaboration, and creation. Essentially, we want to take learning to a whole new level. Through the use our Chromebooks we will be able to complete this work.
What are Chromebooks?
They are a different type of computer that runs on Google’s web-based Chrome OS, which is designed to be used with an Internet connection. The majority of storage on these computers is on the ‘cloud’ through Google Drive. Thankfully, there have been some great developments with this product and students can now do ‘offline’ work. When students return to an ‘online’ environment, their work will automatically sync to the ‘cloud’.
The Janesville-Waldorf-Pemberton Public School District is excited for our students to engage in the development of technology implementation. We anticipate outstanding results in preparing our students for college and/or career.
Should you have any questions, please contact Bill Adams, JWP’s Superintendent. For further information regarding the development and research into this decision, please utilize the following links:
Full Report: https://goo.gl/0LyG66
Financial Information: https://goo.gl/0tyRQS