As you might recall, in the past, we had several school days closed due to excessively cold weather. I am hopeful that we will not experience those extreme temperatures this year. With that said, I would like to remind our constituents of guiding principles for closing school due to extreme temperatures.
- Our school buses are housed indoors and are in excellent condition. In the unlikely event that mechanical failure would occur during cold weather, there are back up buses that can respond to lend assistance in short order.
- Wind chill temperature, actual temperature and frostbite time frames are taken into consideration when making a decision to stay open or closed. I utilize the NOAA Wind Chill Chart (see above or click here) as my guide. If frostbite times are in the 30 minutes range, it will be my recommendation to hold school as planned provided other issues such as snowfall, visibility & road conditions are acceptable.
- I believe that if we operate within the wind chill parameters set forth above, we are putting the safety of students first, but also providing opportunities to continue school on regularly scheduled days.
- I ask that parents pay special attention to proper clothing for their children during the winter season and especially during these very cold conditions. Whether a child is in Kindergarten or in 12th grade, all students should have proper winter apparel including mittens and hat before venturing out.
- If the decision is made to hold school on days of negative wind chills, it is the parent's final responsibility to determine whether it is safe for their child to go to school. Throughout our district, we have so many different circumstances with different families that a single decision by the superintendent may not properly respond to the consideration of a particular family. If parents elect to hold their children home due to inclement weather, the absence will be considered an excused absence.
Please make certain that your alert system information (Infinite Campus) is up to date as we rely on this system to communicate messages regarding school closures. If you have any questions, concerns or compliments, please contact me directly.